Saturday, September 26, 2009

two weeks

Well it was two weeks ago that I was talking to Mom on her cell phone and she made the decision to take Dad (in a cab) to Sunnybrook. And what a great decision.

We have come a long way since then.

I was happy to see that Mom's bedroom door was closed this morning at 8:30 am as I exited Castle Frank. That meant she was resting. I was so excited to get up to the hospital that I didnt even stop for a Starbucks. When I arrived Dad was just finishing his breakfast. He said that he slept really well but he didn't look as fresh as he did the 24 hrs. previous. We had a quick chat that Mom was sleeping and that Lisa had gone back to WDC. I told Dad that I was thrilled of the prospect of taking Mom on her errands along Bloor St. in the afternoon and he responded, "I bet!"

The discussion then moved on to what was happening with him and why he was still in the hospital. I told him that two weeks ago he had an "incident" and the Doctors are trying to piece together a puzzle of what happened and how to best treat it. I told him that he had a "bleed" in the brain and the strange thing is that the symptoms he is showing do not correlate to his condition. I said he was "unique".

I am not sure what came next was a laugh or cry .

But I told him that he is stable, in good care, and has a legion of "fans" pulling for him. For a man that has never had to wait in his life, I told him that I knew he was frustrated but the doctors are doing their best and they need information from him and need to observe him so they can start to undsertand the mystery of his unique situation. It is going to take time.

Surprisingly enough, as I was talking about the Doctors and why they need to test him, Dr.DeO (see previous post for full name) came by with another set of questions. It was too bad his grandson was in the Maritimes, as the Dr. and Grumps starting "playing" repeat after me. After a slow start, Grumps handled himself quite well.

After going home to pick up Mom (who I was pleased to learn had slept in till 9:45), we had a quick visit with Dad. His friend Roly came by to say hi and so did Charles K. After lunch we kissed him good bye and it was off to run a few errands.

Dad had a good visit with his dear friend "Uncle A" (Mr. Zimmerman) this afternoon and he called to say that JMS was in good spirits and seemed even more conversational than yesterday.

I am happy to report that Mom is going to head out on the town tonight to attend a party and I am going to meet up with some old UCC friends.